Thursday, April 15, 2010

Visitation Rights; What's Next?

John Amato of Crooks and Liars writes in giving Obama a thumbs up on signing a memorandum stating that gays and lesbians are now allowed to have non-family visitors and to grant them the medical power of attorney. The same sex marriage ball is now a'rolling. Obama also ordered the Department of Health and Human Services to prohibit discrimination during hospital visitation.
This memo means the world to many sick people whose loved one is not allowed to visit them when they are needed the most. I am glad to hear that Obama has done something that effects the lives of millions, being that this memo isn't that big of a deal. Although Amato and I agree about the newly signed memo, there is already commotion about it. People against gay marriage called this memo a "red herring", and argue that advocates are providing special rights to gays and lesbians that others do not have. I was a little confused when i read this because hw can you argue that point when you ARE allowed to visit family or spouse, and you ARE allowed to marry without getting spit on. I'm glad Obama had the guts to do this, it shows that he wants and tries to do all the right things not just for rich, white, politicians; but for the people. ALL people. And for that I thank you President Obama!

3 comments:

  1. After reading a couple of my classmates blogs, Sarah’s blog caught my attention. Her topic is controversial because it talks about the rights of gays and lesbians. I think her intended audience are people who are in favor of gay and lesbian rights. Her article is very straight to the point in favor of gay and lesbian rights. Her article is about the memorandum that President Barack Obama signed stating that gays and lesbians are now allowed to have non-family visitors which they can grant their medical power of attorney. To be honest I didn’t know that gays and lesbians were not allowed to be visited by non-family members, this is new to me. I thought that everyone in spite of their sexual preferences had the right to visited in hospitals by their loved ones. I agree with Sarah when she states that this memo means a lot to many sick people. When I was in the hospital two years ago, I had the privilege to be visited by my family, friends, and my boyfriend; this helped me felt much better. I also concur with Sarah’s opinion about the courage of President Barack Obama to make things right for all the people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit that I am not too familiar with visitation regulations in hospitals because I have never had to visit anyone outside of my family in the hospital, but from what I have heard visits from anyone outside of a person's family is not permitted to visit a patient in critical condition. In Sarah's Government Blog, she talks about President Obama's memorandum allowing homosexuals to have visits from people outside of their family. As someone that supports same-sex marriage, I am thrilled, but as someone that also supports equal rights for everyone, I am a bit disappointed. While I like that the partners of homosexual patients are now able to be there for their loved one, I have to argue why can't this right be extended to everyone? Why can't we all have EVERYONE that loves us, not just our families, the right to visit us when we are at our weakest? If we want equal rights for everyone, then we should all have the same rights. In a way, I agree with Sarah that this shows that President Obama wants to the right thing for everyone, I think that he could have gone about it in a way that truly shows that homosexuals deserve the same rights as everyone else. Giving them extra rights is not the way to gain the support of the nation for same-sex marriage. We are all equals as citizens of the United States, so we should all have equal rights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with this blog. Yes it is wonderful to know that now gay's can have their significant other with them by their side when they are in critical condition. Because it is not fair that straight couples are allowed their significant other there with them in their time of need. Gay couples share that same kind of love between their partner just as straight couples do. The only difference is gender! I'm glad that we finally have a President who is not so naive. The memorandum also includes that the patient has the right to pick who can have visitation privileges. This is good as well for those who don’t have family around and do not have a significant other but do have close friends to be with them.

    ReplyDelete